Friday, February 24, 2023

I Will Only Purchase Hogwarts Legacy and Atomic Heart Used from the Trans-Supportive Goodwill and Won't Review Them for 10 Years

Sorry about the long title, but I wanted to make sure my policy comes through on all of the feeds from this blog. The title sums up my position, but I'll go into detail by re-posting the comments I made on Mastodon about the games.

I won't buy Hogwarts Legacy new. My reasons are in the Mastodon toot listed below, minus the hashtags.

The main reasons I've heard to buy Hogwarts Legacy are that J.K. Rowling isn't directly involved, she won't get much from sales and she'll be a wealthy TERF with a big megaphone regardless.

But, some of her money goes to people opposing laws to ban conversion therapy for trans people. I don't want my money anywhere near that.

If I'm offered a review code, I'm going to refuse it. I plan to wait and get it used from Goodwill as they're trans-supportive. I recommend everyone else do so as well.

I also won't buy Atomic Heart new. My reasons are in the Mastodon toot listed below, minus the hashtags. 

Atomic Heart is a no-buy for me since this game is said to be Russian propaganda with Kremlin involvement.

It is telling that the developer, Mundfish, hasn't denied it despite being asked directly.

Russia is in the middle of an unprovoked invasion of Ukraine and the genocide of the Ukrainian people. It is also guilty of human rights violations against LGBT people.

The composer of Atomic Heart, Mick Gordon, was caught off-guard, though. He's donating his fee to the Red Cross Ukraine fund.

I founded West Elmira Computers Museum which is all about the preservation of all computer software, so it will definitely have them at some point. However, I have decided to only buy them for the museum used from Goodwill since they are trans-inclusive. 

As I've been linking the museum and this blog together on game pages, I will likely review them at some point as well. However, I have decided to impose a ten-year period after they release before I review them. I'm doing this to limit any impact this site may have, as little as it would be, on the sales of the games.


No comments: